Here in the Pacific NW we always joke that summer starts after July 4th, well we are pretty much right on schedule. So to celebrate the beginning of our official summer, let’s look at ways to save.
1. Go to Yard Sales – My husband is not a huge fan, but I do love making old things new again. I am on the search for patio furniture and since most stores are gearing for school supplies by now, I need to look else where.
2. Eat and Entertain at Home – It is my most favorite time of year to cook and have company. I take pride in fixing my whole meals on the grill. Check out my Pizza Appetizers here. By eating at home you save tons of money.
3. Set Your Lawn Sprinklers to Run During the Day - If you do this you can allow the kids to run through the water and play at the same time you are fully watering your lawn. I am sure it won’t be quite long enough, but it might be a start. Or it just might become the time of day your kids run out for their daily cool down.
4. Fling those Windows Open and Turn off AC – I did a post on this already. I know it seems like information that everyone should know, but you would be surprised at the number of people that finally open up their windows when the house gets hot. That’s not the time to open your windows.
5. Use your Grill for Everything – remember indirect heat is like an oven. So don’t turn on your oven figure out how to put that food on the grill with the rest of the meal. Saves money because the oven heats your house and it costs to run. I have a few suggestions here and here.
7. Go on a Hike – What better way to enjoy the awesome weather and God’s beauty. Check your area for all kinds of hikes for all ages. If you have little ones hike along a river, it will entertain the kids for hours and they won’t even realize how long they have walked. If they get tired they can stop and throw rocks in the river.
8. Work in Your Yard – Pull the weeds, prune the bushes, keep it looking nice. It’s therapeutic and it doesn’t cost a dime to clean up your yard. Plus the instant rewards are worth it. While your are out there check and see if any of your veggies are ready. I love summer.
9. Shop Your Own Home and Create an Outdoor Space – Once you have created a great outdoor space and once your yard is looking good you will not want to leave home.
10. Take your Food to a Park for a Picnic and just BE Outside – Do I need to explain this, it’s summer after all!!!!