If you planted even one zucchini plant you are looking for ways to use it. If you planted more than one, you are probably the one dropping them on neighbors doorsteps at night, desperately trying to get rid of it.
Don’t worry, there are so many ways to use zucchini, millions of things even, but I am going to show super easy uses for Zucchini.
Zucchini has such a mild flavor it can be used almost anywhere and in the process you can get your 3-5 servings of veggies in daily.
You can bake and cook all kinds of things, I mostly just find meals I can add them too, since I am not much of a
rule recipe follower, so no casseroles in here.
Grilled Zucchini Side Dish (get this down because it is the base for a lot more things)
- Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Not just any salt and pepper, use freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
- Grill for about 4 minutes per side or until you have grill marks.
- Always make extra
- If using a grill pan, mix it with other veggies like green beans, snap peas, onions, peppers, baby carrots sliced thin, broccoli, cabbage or any other favorite.
Fajitas – When sauteing onions and peppers, add in zucchini.(I use Chipotle Olive Oil for a bit of kick.) Top Fajitas with veggies. Heck, forget the meat and make tons of veggies and fill fajitas with veggies and beans.
Farmers Market Frittata – These change all summer long, but they always seem to have zucchini in them diced up real small.
Veggie Scramble – If the frittata sounds to overwhelming then just do a scramble.
- Saute 1/4 c. onions and 1/4 zucchini (take some of the work out by grilling or sauteing extra from another meal) in 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Add 2 beaten eggs
- Continue to cook until eggs are cooked through
- Top with 2 Tbsp. cheese
Grilled Veggie Sandwiches – take some of the work out by grilling extra the night before.
Quesadilla – Finely chop any left over veggies from dinner.(I made these the other night and couldn’t make them fast enough for my family.)
- Add to flour tortillas
- Add cheese
- Cook until cheese is melted.
Zucchini Bread – this is a great treat, but I won’t lie, I think my mom thought the only use for zucchini growing up was zucchini bread. Therefore, I have only made it a few times as an adult. I would just make sure the recipe had yogurt or sour cream in it to make it extra moist.
Smoothies – Kids love smoothies and they are good for you, so that’s ok. But make them even better by adding veggies. The beauty of zucchini is it’s the one veggie that is so bland it can’t be tasted in a smoothie, yet you will be getting your veggies.
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh fruit (if using fresh add ice cubes)
- 1/4-1/2 cup fruit juice
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 small zucchini
- Blend and serve
Slice and serve – Believe it or not you can actually just eat these raw. Dip them in your favorite veggie dip or hummus.
Plus the beauty of zucchini is that is so super affordable and available all year long. Don’t be afraid, just embrace your zucchini.
What other things do you do with zucchini?